Sunday, June 2, 2013

April Showers Bring May Flowers

We weren't lucky enough to get any April showers but May was full of flowers and fun anyway. 
After months of waiting, Lillian and I were able to go on a private tour of the Reid Park Zoo courtesy of Tucson Electric Power.  I loved it and I am pretty sure Lillian did too!  It was a warm day and so a hat was a must.  Lillian really wanted to wear this one but kept running into the wall.
Once we figured out the hat situation, we were golden.  First stop was the peacocks.  Lillian was NOT a fan. She has NEVER cried when meeting an animal but this loud nasty peacock brought on a few tears.
The giraffes came next.  Their curling tongues replaced Lillian's tears with giggles.
Then we were lucky enough to witness an elephant training session.  We watched the elephant lay down, pick up his feet, open his mouth, and fan his ears.  It was pretty impressive.
The highlight of the tour for me was meeting 40 year old Yebonga.  She reminded me so much of my horse Gigi, I just couldn't believe it!  She came right over to us to get some treats and to get her back scratched.  It was awesome!

We also went behind the scenes to see the female tiger (who was very interested in Lillian and probably not because she is so cute) and feed one of the zebras some carrots. We had a truly wonderful day.  Having Lillian there made me see the animals through her eyes and seeing them as if for the first time was spectacular.


Last year, the Tucson Fire Fighter's Association started the annual Fire Fighter's Ball.  Josh and I were not able to attend because we were busy with a new baby so I made Josh promise we would go this year. He made good on his promise and we got all dolled up and had a night out on the town. 
Lillian helped us get ready for our evening out.

 The dance was held at the J.W. Marriot in Starr Pass.  The resort was lovely.
 Josh bought about a million raffle tickets to try and win this quad but, sadly, we went home without it (thank goodness, I don't know where we would have put it!).
We had a great time together eating good food, dancing, and visiting the photo booth.  I am glad we didn't miss out this year.
This month Lillian discovered her dad's wallet and the contents within.  His money really caught her attention.  Now, if he leaves his wallet on his nightstand, she grabs it, rips the money out, and runs!  Is this perhaps foreshadowing???

Lillian also decided, since I won't let her wear my hat and she doesn't like her own, that this box will do nicely. It doesn't provide much shade for her face but her ears are well protected.  Please know I did not put this box on my child's head.  She did it all on her own!
Beauty finally decided to shed some of her winter coat, so Lillian and I helped her out a bit.
She also got plenty of hugs because she has got to be the best pony ever.
In the middle of the month, Lillian I flew to Utah to help my cousin throw the birthday bash of the century for her daughter's first birthday.  Every thing was beautiful. These photos do not do it justice!


Lillian was also able to spend some time with her cousin Elle, the birthday girl.

After the birthday party in Salt Lake, we drove north to stay with my family for a few days.  This is where Lillian met the love of her life, my sister's chicken, Hawkeye.  She wasn't sure what to think at first.   She would point outside and say "bock bock" but she refused to go near her.

 After a while she would walk up to Hawkeye if I held her hand.  Then Hawkeye flew and this was Lillian's reaction.
After the chicken took flight right before Lillian's eyes, it was all over.  Hawkeye was her best friend.  As soon as she opened her eyes in the morning she asked to see "Bock Bock."  ALL DAY, EVERY DAY she had to be with the chicken. 
In the evenings Peepa would sit outside with her and they would feed Hawkeye together.  It made for great fun and great memories.
SMG Photography will be posting more photos of Lillian and the chicken so make sure you watch for them on Facebook!
As usual,we had a blast visiting Auntie Sam, Nonni, and Peepaw.



Everything in Logan was yellow, pink, and purple.  I could not get over the variety and quantity of flowers that could be seen covering everything.  The landscape was alive and exploding with color and wildlife.  It was breathtaking.  While driving around one afternoon, Sam and I saw this field and decided to stop and snap a few photos.  I am so glad we did because Sam was able to capture some of the most beautiful photos I have ever seen.




After seeing how much Lillian loved Hawkeye, I was sad to separate her from the beloved chicken.  Much to my surprise, upon returning home and pulling into our driveway, this little nugget appeared in our yard!
This poor little chicken lost her way and, according to Josh, had been hanging around our house for several days.  We caught her and put her in our side yard but she wouldn't stay put.  After a few hours, she had escaped and was being chased by some neighbor boys.  I broke out my 8th grade teacher voice and scolded them, but by then she was in a fright and took off never to return.  {SIGH} I almost had a chicken friend for Lillian.  When we have property I am sure we will get a hen or two so she can have a friend again.

The rest of May was spent lounging by the pool and preparing for our annual San Diego trip.  Pacific Beach here we come!!

No comments: