Sunday, April 5, 2009

Saying Goodbye

"What a creature he was! Never have I felt such a horse between my knees!"
Arthur Conan Doyle



















On Monday, my dear Bachelor was shipped to his new home in Iowa. I have avoided the barn this week because I have dreaded the sight of his empty stall and the realization that he is not coming back. For those of you that have never loved a horse, this post may be hard for you to understand. I have had a difficult time explaining the emptiness I feel without Bachelor in my life. However, the other night Grandma Dirks said all I have been feeling in one short sentence, "It's like losing an old friend." That is exactly what it is like. Bachelor has been my closest friend for the past 4 years and I feel lonely with out him. I feel fortunate to have had the opportunity to share a piece of my life with him. Every horse teaches you something and Bachelor taught me a great deal. It is time for me to learn something new and though I am sad to loose Bachelor, it would be selfish of me to keep him and all he has to offer, to myself.






No comments: