What fun we had celebrating Christmas this year! I was a bit sad at first because we did not plan a trip to see my family in Utah but everything turned out fine and we had a good time despite missing Nonna, Ppa, and Auntie Sam. Honestly, we had so much fun stuff planned there wasn't much time to be sad!
We had the opportunity to attend a nativity display at our church and it really helped us get in the spirit of Christmas. The girls enjoyed seeing nativities from all over the world.
We got our letters to Santa written ASAP so he would have enough time to get everything packed up.
We made sure to get our tree up early in the month so we had plenty of time to enjoy it. This was the first year the girls showed an interest in the ornaments. We had a good time pulling out each one and talking about where it came from. It inspired me to start getting them ornaments of their own.
We also planned our gingerbread house decorating early in the month so we would have enough time to devour it. The finished product was pretty spectacular. Thanks to Grandma Jean it had a table and a fireplace inside with a little mouse to enjoy them.
Josh and I attended a friends Christmas pajama party where we not only had a good time but won Best Couple for our matching sloth pajamas!
All the first graders at Lillian's school put on a Grinch sing-along that was adorable.
Because she practiced all the songs with Lillian at home, Freya knew the lyrics and sang and danced along in the front row.
I am a total sucker and always find myself getting a little teary eyed watching Lillian up on stage.
When we were visiting my family during Thanksgiving, my mom gave Freya a Grinch stuffed animal. Freya wanted nothing to do with him until Nonna made Grinch a necklace and a bow and told Freya that he was actually Grunch, Grinch's sister. Then Freya took Grunch everywhere she went. She was so happy to see a picture of Grunch hanging up at Lillian's musical. When I asked her how she knew that it was Grunch and not Grinch she said, "Grunch has eyelashes Mom!" So she does!
The girls were invited to a Christmas party one evening and came home with some very sprinkly cookies and fancy Christmas trees.
While at the party they were able to visit with our old rabbit, Pipkin, who found a new home at our friend's house several years ago.
Lillian had another Spirit Week at school. I am not sure who loves Spirit Week more, her or me!
This Christmas we went with Grandma Jean to go see The Nutcracker for the first time. About 20 minutes into the show Lillian leaned over and whispered, "When are they going to talk?" I had to laugh. We had read the story and talked about the dancing but not once had I thought to mention to the girls that there was no talking! Lillian got over her surprise quickly and enjoyed the show.
Freya sat on my lap and kept commenting on the dancing, "He is a beautiful leaper!" and "What a good spinner she is!" She also wanted to know who was in love and if they were in love where were their children. She is obsessed with love and babies. I don't know where she gets it! I guess she liked the show because the next day she asked me when we could go see it again.
One of my favorite things to do during the Christmas season is to go look at Christmas lights. One night the girls and I went on a walk with friends around our neighborhood and another night we went as a family to Winterhaven. Both nights we took Eddie and Oliver. People get a kick out of seeing Eddie out in public. He was like a celebrity! People were petting him and taking his picture. He definitely liked all the attention!
Lillian had a Christmas breakfast party at school one morning where she opened a stocking full of gifts from her classmates. I prepped Freya early that morning and let her know she was not getting a stocking but that was okay because she was having her own Christmas party in preschool. Well, my talk must not have done the trick because she was still mad, can you tell? Best picture ever, right?! This girl makes me laugh all day long!
She cheered up when she realized her sister was going to share with her.
Christmas break meant we had time to get some playing in even if it was rainy and muddy.
Our pets appreciated some extra time with us as well.
Gigi loves her girls.
Bachelor loves the mud and rain.
Freya lives to collect eggs
and Daisy likes to think she is a little girl. We are all wondering when she will figure out she is actually just a goat.
A few days before Christmas the girls showed up at Papa's and got a big surprise! Lillian had been asking for a horse for months so I started looking for one I thought would be good for the girls. The three of us looked at several horses and none of them seemed like the right fit until we met Liberty. As soon as Lillian pet Liberty she said, "This is the horse I want." It made me remember all those years ago when I went with my mom to look for a horse and I saw Toby for the first time. I knew he was the one too. Well, I wanted Liberty to be a surprise so I snuck around visiting her again, having the vet come check her out, getting her decorated for Christmas, and taking her to my dad's house. It was so much fun! The girls were delighted when they got out of the car and saw Liberty standing in the driveway. She is pretty skinny and needs some TLC but I know she will be getting plenty of that now that she belongs to us!
The only sad part about getting Liberty is we had to say goodbye to our little Bad Benjamin in order to make room. It was a sad day. He now resides in Bisbee with another little girl.
After the excitement of a new horse, we geared up for the real Christmas day by getting out gnocchi made and our pizzelle dough ready.
We also made sure we wore all of our lovely Christmas dresses. Papa keeps us well stocked in dresses so we have to make sure we wear them all!
On Christmas Eve, Santa got his cookies and his reindeer got their carrots.
Christmas morning was filled with excitement thanks to Nonna and Ppa who sent WAY too many presents for these girls to open.
After all the presents were open we headed over to spend the rest of the day with family. We made our traditional Italian dinner and pizzelle cookies. It was wonderful.
Nonna and Ppa surprised us with a visit a few days later. We were able to play with our new toys and went to see Mary Poppins Returns. Thanks to that movie Freya is now obsessed with umbrellas.

New Year's Eve was spent with family once again. We watched movies, played with sparklers, and made a toast to the New Year.
I can't believe it is 2019. I can't believe I will have two kids in school this fall. I have a feeling 2019 is going to be a little emotionally rough for me. I am not ready to part with both girls all day. They make everything better and I am not ready to let them go! Thankfully I have a few more months to really pack in the fun before Freya is off to kindergarten. I better get started!































































No comments:
Post a Comment