Friday, June 22, 2012

Hunter's Glen
April 23,1992-June 19, 2012

On June 19, 2012 my horse Hunter, one of the best horses I have ever known, was put to sleep. Hunter was my friend for 9 years, 9 growing up years.  I went to college, got married, bought a house, started a career, and had a baby in those nine years.  There is something so sad about losing a friend who helped you grow up.  As you are growing up, you just think your friend will always be there and when they are no longer in your life, it feels empty.  I had planned on Lillian riding Hunter in her first lead line class and having him help her grow up too.

I fell in love with Hunter the moment I saw him.  He always had the sweetest expression and he was always looking for a pat and a treat.  He loved gummy bears, Red Vines, peppermints, bananas, clean shavings, long walks, warm water to drink in the winter and a scratch under the chin. 

Hunter once finished a course for me in a medal qualifying class because I had a bug in my eye and I couldn't see.  He got out of his stall one afternoon when no one was home and hung out in the yard until a neighbor saw him napping under our big mesquite tree. He made me smile every day when he would whinny at me as I drove up the drive way.

Horses don't get much better than Hunter.

No comments: