Sunday, August 16, 2009

Back To School


The second week of school has ended and the third is about to begin. I have my classroom the way I want it, well almost, and I know MOST of my student's names. I have already embarrassed myself in front of them, made them laugh, made them groan, and helped them to be a little more excited about English. They have made me do the same. New students always make me miss the old ones and it has pleased me a great deal this week to have eight past students come to visit me. The junior high does not allow high school students on campus so each of these kids has had to sneak in to see me. It always brings a smile to my face and makes me feel a little bit better about my job. As I get ready to kick off week three I hope and pray I can be what these kids need. Their lives are difficult in so many ways and I try to be there for them any way I can. As life speeds up again and I feel like its hard to even stop to catch my breath, I sometimes forget why I am a middle school teacher and why my senior year of high school, sitting in Mrs. Acosta's English class, I decided I wanted to be a teacher. I think if I pause every now and then this year to remember my reasons for taking this job and the seeds that planted this desire, I'll be able to make it until May.




No comments: