Monday, December 7, 2015

A Heart Full of Thanks

Ahhh! Fall!  Much to our relief the temperatures began to drop this month. People who haven't ventured outside in months can now be seen dancing and singing for joy up and down the streets.  We can always be found dancing and singing outside because, like her mother, Lillian is in love with musicals.  We listen to musicals all.day.long.  Singing in the Rain, Sound of Music, Les Miserables, Mary Poppins, Fiddler on the Roof, Wicked, the list goes on and on.  

Most of you know I run every day and every day I take my two lovely little angels with me in my double running stroller.  On Saturdays I try to make our runs a little more exciting by stopping at Dunkin Donuts for breakfast.  Lillian eats a blueberry muffin and Freya licks the frosting off the top of a donut.  It makes for a nice mid-run break for everyone.
 After we run, most days we go to Papa's house to take care of our horses.  Freya is a fabulous helper and enjoys her time with all of our animals.
 Papa's house has recently become an even more popular spot because he now makes popsicles.  Though both popsicles taste the same, Lillian believes the pink one to be superior in every way.  Drama queen that she is, her day is ruined if Freya happens to get pink.  


 Freya is getting a hang of "horse life" and pitches in to help get everyone cleaned up and exercised each day. "Up! Up!" she says.  Gigi just looks at her.
We often laugh at Lillian and her belief that princess dresses are suitable for every kind of activity.  Hey, I guess if women in movies can fight off bad guys and run miles in five inch heels, Lillian can clean up horse poop in a frilly gown.
A little late, but better than never, we carved our pumpkins.  Freya wasn't too sure about pumpkin guts but she was mesmerized by the pumpkins once they were lit. 


 Lillian and her BFF Sophie had a great time laughing  and being silly. Pumpkin guts were flying left and right.
These two crack me up and make me tired.  They run and laugh and play and argue and the conversations they have are hilarious.  If adults talked to each other they way they talk, about the things they talk about, life would be much more interesting!
Now that is gets dark so early we are inside more during the evening.  One night, we turned a cardboard box in to a car.  Lillian was thrilled. Freya...not so much. I guess Lillian is a crazy driver. Freya bailed and helped me vacuum instead.

I try to get creative and find fun things for both girls to do in the evening when I am tired and bed time is so close and yet so far.  Freya loves little fuzzies so we use them for everything.
She also likes walking around like a ghost, a giggly ghost to be exact.  She fumbles around giggling and snorting and Lillian rolls on the ground holding her sore belly from laughing so hard.
Freya also loves shoes. Big shoes, little shoes, boots, sparkly shoes, shoes, shoes, shoes! Often times I can keep her busy just by opening my closet door and letting her get out all my shoes.
Lillian is always quick to help me bake so whenever I have to bake something I save it so she can help me at night.  She usually sticks around long enough to eat some batter and then she skedaddles. 
We also play fun games and do fun crafts in the evening to help her learn the alphabet. This month we covered the letters B, C, and D.
This month our washer called it quits so Josh went and bought a new one.  Lillian was so excited. "Mom, look at our beautiful washer!  I love it!  When are we going to get a pretty dryer?" she cried the first time she saw it.  She was even more over the moon when she got to help her dad turn the old broken washer in to a fire pit!
Because the weather has been so nice, there have been a lot of different festivals around town. One Saturday we went to the Pecan Festival and watched tractor races, 
 learned how to rope,
 held chickens, 
 pet steers, 
rode ponies, 
and got our faces painted.  The clown who painted Lillian's face insisted  Freya have her hand painted instead of her face.  That didn't last long. One lick and the hand painting became a mouth painting.



I am not sure why holding chickens and riding ponies at the Pecan Festival was so much fun.  The girls do that at Papa's almost every day but they thought it was fantastic.  It was learning to rope that really got Lillian's attention.  For a week after that she was roping Freya, roping Emerson, roping anything that got near her.  She also decided she wanted to have a mustache like the cowboy that taught her to do her new favorite thing.
Another Saturday this month we took advantage of free admission day at Reid Park Zoo.  This is the first time I really felt like Freya was engaged while looking at the animals.  She pointed and jibber jabbered and stared in amazement.  Everything was fascinating to her and that made the trip special.


Last, but not least, we celebrated Thanksgiving in Phoenix with some of my aunts, uncles, and cousins.  Despite Josh being at work, we had one of the best Thanksgivings I can remember.
 The kids were busy all day playing in the dirt,
playing restaurant in tents,
blowing up balloons of all shapes and sizes,
 shooting pine cones over the back wall,
 taste testing whipped cream, 
 eating good food, visiting with family, shooting stomp rockets, playing badminton, and being silly.

I really am thankful I was blessed with these two crazies. They fill my life with meaning, make me a better person, teach me, test me, make me smile, make me laugh, and make me cry.  They are my everything.  Without them life would be...boring.

No comments: